We were woken up before 6:30 this morning by a phone call from Julia in Talladega (she never can remember about the time change, once she called at 4:50 AM! and thought I would be in the shower...It's 4 in the morning, I said, I was asleep!) asking us to fax Dad's obituary to the Talladega Daily Home because they would only accept one from Gita or me. Not from his sister? That seems strange to me...And today is Dory's service, so I am thinking death thoughts. Even more than in the last two weeks...As much as science has been able to explain much of our world, from electrons and energy waves to evolution and outer space, there is no possibility of proving what comes after life. We in 2008 know just as much about death as the cave man...So where are Dad and Dory? Not their bodies, those are no longer the containers for the soul that makes us who we are, what happens to the soul contained within...set free? fly up to heaven? haunt the living? or gone...Scripture tells us that we have eternal life, but not where or how that eternal life is lived. Science tells us that every atom sticks around forever,rock cycle, water cycle, there is a good chance that each of us has at least an atom or two from Shakespeare according to Bill Bryson. I guess I have to rest on the faith that if it were important for us to know, God would tell us. And to reflect on a life well-lived...both Dad and Dory have had that, with family and friends to cherish their memories.
Saturday, January 5, 2008
Lives well lived
We were woken up before 6:30 this morning by a phone call from Julia in Talladega (she never can remember about the time change, once she called at 4:50 AM! and thought I would be in the shower...It's 4 in the morning, I said, I was asleep!) asking us to fax Dad's obituary to the Talladega Daily Home because they would only accept one from Gita or me. Not from his sister? That seems strange to me...And today is Dory's service, so I am thinking death thoughts. Even more than in the last two weeks...As much as science has been able to explain much of our world, from electrons and energy waves to evolution and outer space, there is no possibility of proving what comes after life. We in 2008 know just as much about death as the cave man...So where are Dad and Dory? Not their bodies, those are no longer the containers for the soul that makes us who we are, what happens to the soul contained within...set free? fly up to heaven? haunt the living? or gone...Scripture tells us that we have eternal life, but not where or how that eternal life is lived. Science tells us that every atom sticks around forever,rock cycle, water cycle, there is a good chance that each of us has at least an atom or two from Shakespeare according to Bill Bryson. I guess I have to rest on the faith that if it were important for us to know, God would tell us. And to reflect on a life well-lived...both Dad and Dory have had that, with family and friends to cherish their memories.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment