
We drove down to Bakersfield yesterday and the orange trees were in bloom...the scent hit first and as we drove through the orchards lining Hwy 58, we saw the thick white blossoms covering the trees. I have never seen so many blossoms on the trees, I hope that it foretells sweet oranges at Christmas... orange blossoms are definitely one of my childhood pleasures. And associated almost exclusively with Bop, as are walnut trees and dichondra grass (who has dichrondra anymore?) Sparkling clear pool, hot cement, airplanes buzzing overhead and orange blossoms...a perfect San Fernando Valley afternoon. We never left without a shopping bag full of oranges, too many to truly eat, so we just carved a circle of skin out with our thumb nails and sucked the juice. Quick, sweet, messy...a perfect child snack.
Here are Bop, Lilian, Penny, Gita and the boys in the backyard of the White Oak house...I must have been taking the picture. About 1981?
I love this picture (even with the Farah Facet hair) and I can still smell the blossoms, hot cement, vanila ice cream cone in the pool, fourth of July, change jingling in Bop's pocket, Brach's taffy's and molassis cookies. Seems like a dream, now! Gita
ReplyDeleteJen - your quick description of oranges just makes me crave sunshine :) thanks for staying in touch ....
ReplyDeleteWhat a great picture(both)
ReplyDeleteMom