Sunday, February 3, 2008

Just a newsy little note...


Aaarrgghh! Some telemarketer called our phone and didn't disconnect and our phone line is tied up and we can't use it! So if someone is trying to reach us, call the cell...

I went to a CTA conference in LA this weekend and we heard the dire news about the state budget and the schools.  Whenever there is a financial crisis in California, everyone expects the schools to carry it...as David Sanchez, president of CTA insists, don't ransom the kids, it is not their fault!!  Teacher layoffs are a quick solution, but not a good one.  We are expecting to see class size reduction go away, which means that classes in K-3 will go back up to 30+ students.  I know that we have had larger class sizes in these grades in the past, but that was when the expectations of what the children need to master was more realistic and it was possible to teach the curriculum to larger classes...so...maybe it is time to retire...(Just kidding, not time for that yet...)

The conference was at the Bonaventure hotel in downtown LA which was very fun.  There are no right angles in the place, just big curvy towers and cool glass elevators.  Our room was small but the beds were very luxurious, we had a great view of the Hollywood sign from our floor to ceiling windows and we ate a very nice seafood dinner at McCormick and Schmick's...I had sole, which is probably my favorite fish. It helped to dispell some of the doom and gloom of the budget news.  We were worried about the weather coming home, but it just drizzled ...until we got to Mojave, where it started raining, then snow as we came up the mountain.  But we had a superbowl party to go to and we went...now it is really snowing, and I *fear* another snow day tomorrow.  Yay?  or...sigh?  I am tired now and am going to go catch up on some TV, whatever is on the DVR schedule.  Survivor starts Thursday!!!   

3 comments:

  1. Aaarrgghh! Some telemarketer called our phone and didn't disconnect and our phone line is tied up and we can't use it! So if someone is trying to reach us, call the cell...

    That is nasty and deserves a complaint to the phone company, perhaps. The last couple of months here the trend has been for most of the telemarketing phone calls to be recordings. I instantly hang up. I suppose many of the marketing companies are attempting to cut employee related costs this way.

    Russ

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry about the budget, but glad you made it home. If you are home (snow day) call me re; England
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was going to ask you if you ever attended conferences. I'm sitting at the Lightspeed Booth at a conference in Oklahoma City right now.

    All the teachers here love my giveaway nerf rockets, but hate my content filter. Oh well...

    ReplyDelete