I went to Santa Barbara to spend some time with Dad and Gita. Gita has done a truly amazing job of watching over Dad. She is very proactive, I would be much more passive. She gets him up and dressed and feeds him and takes him outside in the wheelchair for walks. The nurse came in and said Dad wouldn't take his pills and Gita said "I can get him to take them" and sure enough she did. Even in his confused state of mind, he responds to her authority...Dad seems to be weakening in tiny bits. Friday night he couldn't swallow a bite of fish, it was almost as if he hadn't forgotten what to do with the food in his mouth. On the other hand we still see flashes of the old Dad. When a nurse came in to greet him, she pushed her face into Dad's face, raised her voice and asked how he was doing...Dad pushed his face forward and widened his eyes at her...right back at ya!
Then Friday night at Gita's I started feeling sick and was up all night throwing up. Scott pointed out that he sent three kids home sick on Friday, so I think we probably all got the same bug. I hope Gita, Dad and everyone else I was breathing on for two days don't get sick...I drove home yesterday afternoon in a kind of fog, but actually it wasn't a hard drive, 2 1/2 hours through the deserted desert. Went straight to bed and feel a little stronger today. Aiden was very sympathetic, rubbing my tummy and getting the exact rundown of my illness. Yes my tummy is sick, yes I threw up, yes I am sleeping under the blanket in bed.
Now I need to help Scott change the dressing on Dakota's leg after his tumor removal...such fun it is to be me!
Sunday, December 16, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment